General Job Description for Software Engineer
Purpose of the Role
The purpose of this role is to be a key part of a systems, software engineering and electronics team working on project delivery, service provision and product development. The role encompasses bidding for, designing, implementing, testing, obtaining customer acceptance and after-sales support of systems for the International Defence and Industrial market sectors. The work is within the context of a multi-disciplinary engineering team delivering complete solutions to the customer.
- Pre-Sales - You will assist with Business Development and Tendering to evaluate opportunities for product and project sales and to provide technical material in order to win sales.
- Engineering - You will work with other engineers to deliver projects, services and products to contracted cost, schedule and quality requirements. This role is as part of an engineering team which is responsible for the quality of the technical solutions delivered and is accountable for delivering work packages, such as detailed designs, implementations and test specifications, to agreed schedule and quality targets.
- After Sales - You will work with the Project Manager to provide after-sales service to customers and clients. This role will engage with customers to diagnose technical issues with delivered solutions, and will propose technical solutions to those identified issues.
- Demonstrations - You will work with the team to prepare and deliver demonstrations of the company's products and capabilities.
- A broad understanding of engineering in general.
- Effective communication and inter-personal skills.
- A good understanding of Software Development methodologies.
- Familiarity with the Product Development Lifecycle.
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant Engineering, Electronics, Software or Computer Science subject.
- Membership of a Professional Body, such as the BCS or IET.
- Commercial programming, or programming with a very strong academic bias towards the 'Must Have' skills identified in the Specific Skills List.
- Integration of software into systems using medium scale software or electronic subsystems.
- Conceptualisation of innovative ideas and the ability to engineer these into final solutions.
- Working both interactively or independently to achieve team objectives.
- Must meet UK MoD security vetting criteria.
- Ability to work in the UK with no restrictions.
- The job holder will preferably have a current European driving licence.
- Ability to be flexible and work outside core hours on occasion.
- Occasional travel to other busines and customer sites.
- Participate in the personal performance review process, identifying development areas and strengths as part of continuous professional development.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities within the company.
JAM Recruitment is acting as an employment agency with regards to this position.
View our latest jobs today on our website and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn