Switching careers is not a decision to be made lightly – but if trying something new is dangerous, staying stuck in a career that’s wrong for you is far more so. (Worst odds ever: there’s a 100% chance you’ll hate your job.)
Here’s how to decide if it’s time to make that switch, and how to make it once you’ve decided.
1. Ask yourself why you’re considering a new career. Is it boredom, dissatisfaction, money, a new interest, or perhaps a concern about job security?
2. Tell your manager and HR team that you want a more challenging role. Most companies don’t expect or want you to sit in the same role for decades, and they might be able to find you the perfect new opportunity within the same company.
3. Research the job or industry you’re thinking of working in. Read articles on the future of the industry and reviews from employees on Glassdoor.
4. Boost your relevant skills by taking courses, attending seminars, or shadowing someone who works in the field.
5. Make sure the timing is right. If there are more learning opportunities to pursue in your current role, it may be too soon to make a move.
6. Clean up your social media accounts. Make sure there’s nothing there that reflects negatively on you or your current role.
7. Make sure your CV reflects the role you want to pursue by highlighting your most relevant skills, experience, and attributes.
When it comes to changing careers, it’s always worth getting advice from an expert. Contact us today to discuss your situation and discover what options are open to you – and how we can help you achieve them.